Blizzard decided that after the insanity that was RealID and with the addition of 31 point talent trees, it was time to do another Twitter development chat. Here are some of my personal thoughts about the general and druid specific things from that chat.
1) For the Love of God, Stop Asking About Guild Housing – Blizzard has done this chat a few times now and every single time, someone thinks it would be a good question to ask about guild housing. Blizzard has said no, it is not going to happen. If you are that hard up for guild housing, go play Age of Conan with nobody else.
2) Glyphing Has Become Interesting – Giving the description of the new glyphs, it is starting to sound like that some passive abilities are going to become new glyphs. This means that maybe Omen of Clarity is not dead. My guess is passive abilities will either become Prime or Major glyphs. Minor glyphs are going to be the fun glyphs. (Like Polymorph: Penguin)
3) Mastery Capping Will Not Happen – I’m thinking by their descriptions that only 7 pieces of gear will have mastery on it (Head, Chest, Wrist, Hands, Waist, Legs, and Feet) and there will be no mastery gemming or enchanting. Thus it will be impossible to hit a mastery cap. I could see shared items like weapons, rings, cloaks, trinkets, and neck pieces having mastery, but I still don’t think it will be cappable. That being said, you will still want as much as mastery as possible regardless of your class.
4) Blizzard has A LOT to Do with Druids Still – Only to get me as close to a heart attack as I have ever been, I thought that Omen of Clarity, Typhoon, and Moonkin form were all being taken out when the 31 point talents came out. Thankfully, those were more errors than anything. Omen of Clarity may be out, but Typhoon and Moonkin form will come back. They said they have a lot to do with all the classes, but it really seems like all the druids still need a lot of work.
5) Welcome Back, Moonfire – Moonfire is going to become the Balance druid’s friend when moving. We are going to be spamming it on the move since it will have a new nuke capability as well as its normal DoT ability. Plus, with some of the suggested talents, it will be refreshed by just moving. Don’t even have to spam it to get more effect out of it.
6) Eclipse Will Be Awesome – From their description, an Eclipse will last until either the Balance bar either returns to center or 45 seconds. So, it does not sound like you will be able to store up a Lunar Eclipse and then use it for a boss. However, 45 seconds is a lot of time to move and then start casting. What we don’t know is how much solar power we get for each Starfire cast. We know that if we critically hit with either a Starfire or Wrath, we get 12 of the appropriate power per the talents. I’m also guessing that when moving from a Lunar Eclipse to a solar eclipse that 1 Solar Power = – 1 Lunar Power and vice versa for a Solar Eclipse. These means we have to subtract out 100 Lunar Power to get back to center during a Lunar Eclipse. Another thing with Eclipse is possibly finding ways to prolong the Eclipse. If you get near center, you may cast Wrath a few times in the middle of the rotation to get a few more Lunar Eclipse procs in the 45 seconds. And mastery will affect how much damage we put out during our Eclipses. I think the balance druid’s new goal will be to get an Eclipse, make it last 45 seconds, and then get to the opposite Eclipse.
7) Duel Speccing Will Be Earlier and Cheaper – Thank God. If you are going to tell people they have to put their first 31 talents in one tree, you have to provide a way to duel spec earlier. I’m hoping either level 10 or 20. More likely, it will be level 30.
8) Spec Specific Talent at Level 10 – Awesome. I think it will make every spec a viable leveling spec, whether you are leveling doing quest or just LFG. (I’m trying to level my DK while staying in the DK starting area and just DK tanking with heirloom gear.) Balance druids will have Eclipse. Feral druids will have Mangle.
9) Intellect Stat is About to Explode – End game raiders currently have around 3-4k spellpower unbuffed. When asked what the conversion rate is, they basically said it is 1 intellect for 1 spellpower. That means one of two things. Either they want to decrease how much spellpower everybody has or they are about to have a lot of intellect on gear. I tend to think it is the latter.
10) Hybrid Specs Are Still Not Back – I was hoping for a combination feral spec that could do good kitty DPS and tank. Apparently, that is not happening. They are actually making it a point that a DPS feral spec is different enough from a feral tank that it cannot be combined. Also, goodbye Restokin for PvP. But that is okay, because between Starfall, Moonfire Spam, and our AoE silence, moonkins will be incredible in PvP.
Hopefully, they will have even more answers for us as we get closer and closer to Cataclysm. Speaking of Cataclysm, if you think you know when the release date is going to be, enter our Christmas in July contest for some cool free stuff.
Finally, I mentioned WoWCentric not to long ago. Well, it is up and running now and you can find a big link on the right side. You will find druid and raiding content from me as well as great content from a bunch of other bloggers, podcasters, etc. Bookmark it, visit it daily, and see some great content.